Low Carb Loco Moco Recipe
On March 6th, on a windy day in Honolulu, Marvin and I tied the knot! During our time in Hawaii, we were treated to a dish with which we were previously unfamiliar - Loco Moco. We liked it so much the first time that we ate it again the following day.
Read on to see our Loco Moco recipe for two.
Traditional Loco Moco, unfortunately, is not terribly healthful, so I made a minor adjustment to cut the carbs a bit. The traditional dish consists of a ground beef patty served over a bed of rice and topped with brown gravy and a fried egg. For my twist on Loco Moco, I substituted quinoa for the typical long grain white rice.
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
2 1/3-pound ground beef patties
1 tsp minced garlic
dash of cayenne
1 tsp of hamburger seasoning
2 cups brown gravy
1/2 of an onion, diced
red or black pepper, to taste
olive oil, for frying
1. Mix Worcestershire and soy sauce into your cooked quinoa.
2. Mix garlic, cayenne, and hamburger seasoning into the ground beef. Form patties and grill to desired temperature.
3. Prepare your brown gravy. (I cheat and use a gravy packet.)
4. Saute onions till soft. Set aside.
5. Fry two eggs in olive oil (or butter if you prefer) to over-medium, adding red and/or black pepper to taste.
6. Layer quinoa, onions, burgers, gravy, and fried eggs into bowls.
Hope you enjoy our take on a traditional Hawaiian dish! It's perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even dinner! Yum!
You could also try:
Leave a Reply.
Welcome to exquisit